Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Car accident today.

I'm... I'm still trying to grasp what happened.

I was going to go to work tonight. I had some corn and mush for dinner and got everything ready. I even got my pull-string backpack out so that I could properly carry my things.

Fast forward to everything being in the car. I'm in my Skeleton Jack hoodie and my favorite striped scarf. The key's in the ignition and my Creature Feature CD is jamming from the CD player. I wonder if Betty listened to it because she was the one to use the car last, though I am sure I had listened to the same song last night on the way home from work. I stop thinking about that and look out the back window to make sure I don't run over any neighborhood kids.

I am driving down the street. My glasses are dirty. There are no signs so I take them off to clean them at the stop sign. They are back on, now clean. I turn. I wonder if I can put the CD player on randomize so that I don't listen to my CD in the same order.

The steering wheel goes too far. I have a finger on the 'mode' button on the CD player. The thought 'I need to correct' goes through my mind. The first wheel hits the curb. Then the back wheel. The tree is hit. The tree is knocked over. I proceed to plow over the tree.

I stop. I put the car into park. I turn the car off. I notice someone has stopped their car and is staring at me. I move to roll down the window, but the car is off. I decide to look for my phone instead. It has slid off the seat and there is a little big of slightly frantic searching before I find it. I take it and get out of the car. I walk around onto the sidewalk and go through recent calls to find Betty's name. It is a ridiculously long list.

My voice is controlled as I tell her I've been in an accident. I tell her I am at the bottom of the hill and she promises to be there shortly.

I am fine. I am not bodily harmed. The car still runs. The tree is destroyed. Betty estimates the repairs to be around 300 dollars.

And I am still confused. :I

No comments: