Sunday, February 20, 2011

Drama in Animal Science Class

Long post, so buckle up.

Apparently people think I'm so cool because of what I did on Thursday in Animal Science Class, which is totally fine with me. Here's what happened...

It sorta started on Tuesday of last week, where I was sick and went to work with my mom -- I had an earache, so it wasn't contagious.

On Friday when I got back to my B-Day classes I went to Animal Science class in a fairly good mood, even though it was just after Math class (I guess it's partially because we only did test corrections that day). I thought the class started out fine; we did our bell work, though I wasn't able to answer it due to not being there the previous class period, and everyone was talking and chit-chatting. Not to say that I was enjoying the chatter because there were some really annoying conversations going on, but it was all normal.

Our student teacher began to talk to us about the class' actions during the last time , where they had evidently had a visitor talk to them about some things, and she made it clear that she was not pleased. I didn't think it concerned me because I was not there, so I just wrote a bit in my journal. She did threaten to make everybody do bookwork if they did not shut up. I thought "Oh, everyone's gonna be quiet now" and it was true, they did quiet down some. Still loud though.

Maybe it's just because I'm usually a patient person (growing up with the family I had, you would understand), but when the student teacher decided that she wasn't gonna handle it anymore she just sorta, from what I can remember, 'snapped' and I thought it was unacceptable. She told everyone to get books. Now, I wasn't talking or anything, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one who was perfectly innocent in this matter, and I wasn't even there when the visitor was there on Tuesday (that was another reason for the bookwork) so I told her so. You know what she said? She said that's what happens when the class get's punished. Irked, I told her it was not fair which she responded to with "life's not fair".

To be frank, that pissed me off. So for a little bit I was sitting there, mulling over how I felt and what to do about it, when one of the 'rowdy kids' had brought a textbook to my desk for me. The action was not lost on me; I appreciated that he was making an effort to be nice. He even asked how I was doing that day, which I was going to answer with "Meh" before the student teacher cut me off saying that there was going to be no talking at all. The student said he was just trying to make a positive atmosphere, which I thought was a decent answer whether it was a lie or not, but the student teacher said that we couldn't have one.

One more tick up on my annoyance meter, wavering close to action. Not necessarily a bad thing.

We 'worked' (in quotations because I never even opened the book; I was just thinking) for not even a minute and she pulled some students out, including the boy who asked how I was doing, to talk to them.

Finally the thought of "I am not going do deal with this crap! It's stupid!" came into my mind, so I got up and put my book away. Even though the teacher wasn't there the class was silent (never thought that was possible) until I stood up. Someone shouted something along the lines of "Look! A protester!" with a grin on his face; it wasn't in teasing, but it was in being impressed it seemed. I went and put my things away in my backpack and gathered everything up, proclaiming to the class "I'm leaving -- not gonna deal with her".

I don't know what the class did after I left -- I think I heard some chatter going on as I left.

I opened the door and almost ran into the student teacher's back as she spoke to those she had pulled out of the class. That didn't faze me. I told her simply "I'm leaving this class. I'm not going to deal with you. You can mark me absent -- I don't care -- but I'm leaving." And I strode off, looking straight ahead without looking back to give her a chance to read my face or something (bit paranoid in that department). One of the boys she pulled out, the one who said 'hey' to me said "Now, I didn't cause that!" as I left the building (the "that" he was referring to was me having left the class before due to his actions from previously, but that's another story that I'll never tell here because it's long past).

I never went back to the classroom since then. I went and hung out with my next period teacher's class -- Mrs. Wells is such a sweetie for letting me hang out with her Junior class -- and wrote a letter to my real Animal Science teacher Mr. Robertson, who was not there during all these events. I put the letter in his mailbox, which explained my side of the story.

I plan on going back to Animal Science Class on Tuesday (no school tomorrow due to Presidents' Day), but I'm not above leaving again if the student teacher doesn't change her attitude.

I really like Animal Science, so I didn't like leaving. But I did it to send a message that I don't take the crap that's put in front of me -- that's why "Hey Hey" by Superchick is on my music playlist here and you can find it to listen to.

So, yeah. That's this week's drama, and why the people from that class think I'm awesome. As a rephrase from what I said at the beginning of this long post, I receive that!

No comments: