Friday, March 11, 2011

Japan Earthquake -- Holy Crapola on Rice! D:

The title is not in reference to anything -- it's just a title.

Video 1

Video 2

Houses burning from a fire caused by the earthquake. Yahoo! News

D: ....... Holy...... crap. Haiti was scary. Chile was scary. Iceland was scary. This.... this just seems like something else.

I first heard about this while I was in Government class just an hour ago (currently 12:24 pm) and I was astounded. I like Japan, as you can probably guess, because I think the culture is interesting. The shock never fully hit until I saw the two videos above. Seeing cars float away like autumn leaves in a small stream... geez.

And then scientists speculate that when the moon is going to be at its closest on the 19th of this month that we might encounter earthquakes and giant waves. I'll explain the science:

Totally stolen from the Internet -- just bear with me.
In the upper panel it is shown where the moon is positioned during a Full Moon phase.  See how the tides are higher than in the quarter phases? With the added gravity of the sun the tides are higher during a full moon. March 19th is going to be a full moon. And with the proximity of the moon to the earth at that time, it being a full moon, and the sun's added gravitational pull, things might be an issue.

Now this is merely speculation, but that's what was in the news yesterday or the day before and I remembered it. Who knows exactly what's going to happen besides God Himself.

For those of you in the Mormon faith (like I am) this is probably proof that the end of times are upon us.

Last I heard, the death toll of the Japan quake has risen above 100, still rising, and a 6.6 aftershock has hit the land.

Update: 12:57pm - 1,000 feared dead (Yahoo! News)

No comments: